12 April 2011

the library // science tackles the afterlife



while working on the reference desk, the majority of the questions fielded are from face-to-face or over-the-phone transactions. sometimes we get an e-mail and, even less occasionally, we get a question via our chat portal on the website. people usually just pop up to ask our hours or location, but every once in a while you get a really good question. like today.

out of the corner of my eye, i saw the chat box pop up on the screen with the question: what is the process for donating a body to science in texas? i was immediately intrigued and i'm sure a huge smile appeared on my face (i realize that sounds completely morbid).

i replied that the question may take a bit of time to research and was there an e-mail address to which i could send my findings?

the chatter replied: yes, i have an e-mail, but if possible, i can wait.

it occurred to me that the chatter may have had the, uh, specimen on hand. curiouser and curiouser!

after a bit of research, i found that most medial universities have willed body programs and that only a simple form needed to be filled out; however, there was one form for donors who were still alive and one form for those donating a body with no "prior membership."

after narrowing down the choices to medical universities in the dallas area, i discreetly inquired whether the chatter needed a form for themselves or on behalf of somebody else.

the chatter replied: oh, it's for me.

then: OH MY GOSH, IT PROBABLY SOUNDS LIKE I HAVE A DEAD GUY ON ICE OVER HERE! LOL!!

why, yes, that's exactly what it sounded like.


5 comments:

  1. that's pretty funny. but good question. I vonlunteered at the library by my highschool for over 6 years. And you truely get some interesting questions. Man do I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally LOLed at this. I never knew working at the library could be so entertaining. It's making me want even more to be a librarian. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do shifts on the reference chat at our library, too! The weird, weird chats you get sometimes. This one's a topper, though. Nice.

    ReplyDelete